Thursday, May 12, 2011

A Book Review

For my AC class, one of the assignments is to do a free reading reflection. The book that I will talk about is The Host by Stephenie Meyer. As this class should know, I read this book for my book talk earlier in the semester and gave a brief overview of it. This book has nothing to do with the Twilight series, but the writing is similar.

This novel is about an alien named Wanderer (later on called "Wanda"), who takes over the body of her new host named Melanie. When an alien takes over a human body, the human is supposed to be completely lost so that all of their memories will be taken by the alien. However, Melanie refuses to give up and remains present within her body and mind. The two later go on an adventure looking for Melanie's brother Jamie and special man friend Jared.

The Host is filled with sci-fy, adventure, romance, and the understanding of what it means to be human. The alien has never felt human emotion before and it is overwhelming for her to take it all in. She understands what it means to be heart-broken and what it means to be in love. Overall, this novel is one of the best that I have ever read mostly because it is the type of genre that I like, and also that the writing is just amazing. I would tell people that they should read this book because it doesn't hurt to read something you think would be bad but in the end it would turn out good.

1 comment:

  1. I could not get into this book. I don't know what it was. I just didn't like the plot. And I didn't like how the alien was called "Wanderer." Not for me, but I can see how it would appeal to people who like this genre.

    ReplyDelete